February 15, 2015

Mexican Feast at Playa Takeria

Finally caught up with a lovely friend of mine last friday night and I know how much she loves Mexican so I decided to surprise her with dinner at Playa Takeria in Darlinghurst. It was a first time for me as well so it was a great excuse for us to go to catch up, she loves Mexican and I've been wanting to try Playa Takeria for a little while now. 


It's a very cute little restaurant taking residence in the old Fish Face on Darlinghurst Road. The art works and colours encapsulating the restaurant really stands out so there is seriously no way for you to miss it; even if you were walking in the pouring rain like we had. The furniture and the plates used are so colourful and pretty that it made me want to clear out all of my plates at home and re-stock with these stunning pieces. It also reminded me on being in Mexico and for a moment there I thought I was there and started to plan my next visit back!

We had a later dinner booking, 9pm, and it was still packed with people so we still had to wait a little bit while they got our table ready. It was fun to see that they gave flower headbands to the customers (females) to wear so it made it a really fun atmosphere. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the blokes wearing them too….if they dare! While we wait for our table we ordered a "Striptease" cocktail ($19) each which was a coconut margarita style and is apparently the number one drink in Playa. Seriously off the chart! I could drink this all night long so I'll definitely be back for this drink.




We were taken to our seats (outside) and ordered everything to share which included: Guacamole Playa V (Avocado, Tomato, Onion, Coriander, Lime, Salt, Mexican Love, & Corn chips - $14), Elotes de Barrio V (Grilled Mexican Style Corn - $5 each), Taco Don Paster (The F….Famous Tacos of Mexico - Adobo Marinated Pork roster on A Trompo with Pineapple - $5 each) and a Gringa Santanera (Paster marinated Pork, Mozzarella Cheese, Chipotle & Flour Tortilla - $10). 





The food here is amazing and really tasty. The salt and chilli spice on the corn chips for the Guacamole was WOW. The salt, I believe, was a lime salt as the flavour of the lime really popped in your mouth and made the whole dish. My favourite would have to be the Grina Santanera, which essentially was a quesadilla - who doesn't love these?!? I think I could have eat three plates of these just to myself; it had just the right amount of flavours that kept me wanting more and more. 

Of course no meal is complete without dessert and of course we couldn't go pass the Churros Condesa (Spiced Mexican doughnuts, cajeta caramel, strawberry mayan melted chocolate - $15) to share. It completed our Mexican meal for sure. The carmel sauce was delicious and one that I could have just drank on its own. It wasn't too sweet but yet just right and creamy; it was a nice change to having salted caramel. 


Was so excited to eat these that I forgot to get a photo before….
The atmosphere of this little cute restaurant is fun and the service is good. Also the prices were reasonable. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting a Mexican feast and it's somewhere that I would come back to for sure. If you haven't tried this place, please do check it out. They also have a great list of Tequilas and Mexican beers and wines available.

Jo xo

Playa Takeria
132 Darlinghurst Rd,
Darlinghurst NSW 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment